Have you ever noticed that you struggle for control? Maybe you just care a little extra about how your spouse loads the dishwasher. Maybe you struggle a little more to recover when life goes a different way than you were planning. Maybe you have trouble letting your kids make mistakes. Or maybe your marriage feels like a battle for leadership more than it feels like a partnership towards a united goal.
Today on the podcast, we have the opportunity to welcome Shannon Popkin, author of both Comparison Girl and Control Girl and host of the “Live Like It’s True” podcast. From the platform, page, and podcast mic, Shannon Popkin wants to invite you to drink deeply of God’s story, and live like it’s true.
Today, Shannon shares with us:
- Why so many of us struggle to let go of control
- What it looks to identify the emotion or sin that is behind the desire to control
- How unity in our roles in marriage help us become better partners
- How to find peace in God’s provision and plan
- And more!
We hope you enjoy this episode!
- Shannon’s Website
- Control Girl by Shannon Popkin
- Live Like It’s True Podcast
- Follow Shannon on Instagram and Facebook
1) “I lose control of the one thing I can control (myself) when I try to control the things that I can’t.” There is one thing in life that we can control, and that is ourselves. We can’t control other people or outcomes. When we focus on controlling what we can’t, we actually have less energy to focus on the one person we can control.
2) There’s often something deeper underneath the desire to control. For Shannon, it was anger. For others, it may be resentment, fear, or an inability to trust. What is it for you?
3) The only time we can truly find peace is when we settle in and trust God’s provision and plan. God has a plan for your child’s future. God has a plan for your marriage. God has a plan for your career. We has a purposeful God, and we can release our need for control and rest in His plan. This doesn’t mean that we do nothing, but it means that we don’t have to put the pressure on ourselves for the outcomes in life or responses of other people.
Meet Our Guest
From the platform, page, and podcast mic, Shannon Popkin invites women to drink deeply of God’s story, and live like it’s true. Shannon’s books include Comparison Girl, and Control Girl, and she hosts the “Live Like It’s True” podcast. Shannon has been featured on FamilyLife Today, Revive Our Hearts, and Proverbs 31.
Shannon is happy to be sharing life with Ken, who makes her laugh every day. Together, they have the joy of watching their three young-adult kids become the amazing people God created them to be.